A.Turkish Cypriot Press
B. Turkish Press
Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (27.06.18) reports that the elected President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan by keeping the tradition is expected his first foreign visits to be to Azerbaijan and to the occupied area of Cyprus.
During Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev’s first foreign visit to Ankara on April 25, Erdogan said: “God willing, I will pay my first visit to Azerbaijan as the Turkish President after the elections scheduled for June 24”.
It is also expected that Erdogan’s first international summit to be the NATO summit that will be held in Brussels on 11-12 July.
Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (27.06.18) reports that the trade unions of Turkish Cypriot primary and secondary school teachers, KTOS and KTOEOS, have announced that as of Monday 2 July an office will be established in KTOS’ headquarters with the aim of offering help to persons who could not obtain a passport of the Republic of Cyprus, because one of their parents comes from Turkey. Speaking yesterday during a press conference, representatives of the trade unions said that they have received 5,152 applications from persons who face problems in obtaining a passport of the Republic of Cyprus.
Sener Elcil, KTOS’ general secretary, stated that 70% of these persons have not applied to the authorities of the Republic of Cyprus for passport and added that some of the rest have applied and received a receipt for their application, while others have not been given a receipt. He said that until today, they have categorized the applications, separated the various cases into groups and created analyses and lists.
Elcil noted that they will discuss the issue with the Minister of Interior Constantinos Petrides during a meeting they will hold with him in July and added that the issue is to solve through dialogue with the authorities the problem of some “victims”, who fulfill the criteria required by the “south”, as he described the Republic of Cyprus. He also said that lawsuits will be filed for some other “victims”, who do not fulfill the above-mentioned criteria and added that they held meetings with lawyers and made the necessary arrangements for this. He stated that after their meeting with the Minister of Interior, they will launch the procedure of the lawsuits.
According to Elcil, in the office which they will establish in KTOS’ headquarters, they will receive applications from persons who until today have not applied for passport of the Republic of Cyprus and they will brief these persons on the documents which they have to complete. He said that after the completion of the process, they will file a group application with lawyers and representatives of the Press.
Moreover, Elcil noted that they intend to discuss the issue with the Turkish Cypriot leader and the “authorities” of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus and claimed that it is important to bring up the issue at the table during the Cyprus negotiations. Elcil concluded by saying that they will hold contacts on the issue with representatives of the European Parliament and the European Commission in Cyprus.
Under the title “42 licenses for wells within 5 years to Elia village”, Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (27.06.18), on its front page, reports that according to data by the “ministry of agriculture”, in the last five years licenses were granted for a total of 153 wells in the occupied districts of Morphou and Lefka. Forty-two of these licences were for wells in the occupied village of Elia.
The producers in the occupied village of Elia complained that licenses for wells were distributed last year in the sake of “political gains” and as a result the salinity level of the water in the area has increased. The producers added that for this reason their production of potatoes and watermelon has been decreased.
Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (27.06.18-http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/trump-erdogan-confirm-commitment-to-manbij-roadmap-in-phone-call-133835) reports that United States President Donald Trump congratulated his Turkish counterpart President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on his success in the June 24 presidential and parliamentary elections in a phone call in which the two leaders also confirmed their commitment to “the Manbij roadmap,” Turkey’s presidential press office said on June 26.
The roadmap, which was announced on June 4, foresees the withdrawal of the Syrian Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) from the northern Syrian city of Manbij.
The U.S. considers the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), dominated by YPG militants to be its main ally in the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in Syria.
Ankara has long pushed for the removal of YPG, which it considers the Syrian branch of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) that has been designated as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and the EU.
While Trump called Erdogan to congratulate him after his elections victory, the two leaders also stressed the importance of executing the Manbij roadmap and the continuation of the joint fight against terrorism, according to state-run Anadolu Agency.
The White House later stated that Trump also reaffirmed “the strong bonds between the United States and Turkey as NATO allies and strategic partners.”
“President Trump and President Erdogan recommitted to efforts to resolve issues in the bilateral relationship and to increase cooperation in addressing shared strategic challenges,” a National Security Council spokesman said in a statement.
Ankara Anatolia news agency (27.06.18-https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/eu-leaders-congratulate-erdogan-on-election-victory/1188207) reports that the European Council President Donald Tusk and the European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker on Tuesday congratulated President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on his victory in Sunday's elections.
The European leaders sent a joint letter to Erdogan two days after the parliamentary and presidential elections in the country expressing their desire to work with Erdogan "closely".
"Let us congratulate you on your re-election as President of the Republic of Turkey. Turkey is a candidate country and key partner of the European Union. We look forward to continuing to work with you closely in areas of common interest for EU-Turkey relations such as security, migration and energy," said the statement.
Ankara Anatolia news agency (26.06.18-https://www.aa.com.tr/en/politics/chp-leader-members-to-decide-partys-fate/1187791home) reported that the head of main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) Kemal Kilicdaroglu, speaking yesterday during a press conference after chairing the Central Executive Board (MYK) at party headquarters in Ankara, responding to claims that he might resign, said that the party members would decide what the future holds.
"CHP members will decide what happens to our party," he said in a press meeting at the CHP headquarters in the capital Ankara.
Kemal Kilicdaroglu proceeded to analyze Sunday's presidential and parliamentary elections.
He said that the winner of the elections was democracy, while he dubbed the Justice and Development (AK) Party as "the loser of elections". "The only loser of these elections is AK Party," he said. "They lost 7 (percentage) points of their total votes [from the previous election]."
Kilicdaroglu also commented on presidential candidate Muharrem Ince's performance in the elections, saying the voter turnout for him had been "below expectations".
"He needed to get more votes, he was below expectation, that's what he said to me," Kilicdaroglu said. "We complied with him throughout his campaign, he is a young man, he worked hard", Kilicdaroglu added.
On Sunday, with 99.9% of votes counted, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan won an absolute majority in the presidential poll with 52.5% of the vote, while Ince received 30.6%-- a losing percentage, but the best showing by the CHP at the national level in years.
In Sunday’s parliamentary poll, the CHP won some 22.64%, far less than Ince. The AK Party received 42.56%, winning 295 seats in the parliament, according to unofficial results.
Ankara Anatolia news agency (26.06.18-https://www.aa.com.tr/en/politics/turkey-meral-aksener-to-continue-as-iyi-party-leader/1187919) reported that Turkey's Good (IYI) Party head Meral Aksener said on Tuesday that her party would continue under her leadership after the presidential and parliamentary elections.
Addressing reporters for the first time since Sunday's elections, in which she was also a presidential candidate, Aksener said that the general executive board of the party convened after election results.
Citing the board decision, Aksener said the results were "a win that has increased the nation's hope for the future", adding that the board agreed she should lead the party.
“We are only beginning our honorable march," Aksener added.
According to Turkey’s Supreme Election Council (YSK), President Recep Tayyip Erdogan won an absolute majority in the presidential election with 52.5% of the vote, while his closest rival lagged behind at 30.6%.
Aksener gained 7.2% of the votes.
In the parliamentary polls, the People's Alliance of the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) and Justice and Development (AK) Party won 53.6% of the votes, with 99.9% of ballot boxes opened.
In its first election, the IYI Party made it to Parliament with over 40 Deputies and received 10% of the votes as part of the “Nation Alliance" with Republican People's Party (CHP) and Felicity Party.
Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (26.06.18-http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/ruling-akps-ally-mhp-says-state-of-emergency-should-not-be-lifted-yet-133804) reported that Mustafa Kalayci, deputy chair of the the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP), stated on June 26 that the ongoing state of emergency in Turkey should continue.
“We think the threat posed by FETÖ continues,” said Kalaycı, referring to what the authorities call the Fethullahist Terorrist Organization, widely believed to have orchestrated the July 2016 coup attempt.
Speaking on private broadcaster CNN Türk, Kalaycı also referred to ongoing operations against the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in neighboring Iraq. “It seems that the state of emergency should last a little longer,” he said.
The state of emergency was declared in the wake of the July 15, 2016 coup attempt and has since then been extended in three-month periods, latest of which will expire on July 19.
However, following opposition criticism on the emergency state, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan also vowed to lift the implementation after the June 24 general and presidential election. “God willing, we will review the state of emergency after the elections and we may lift it. We will work on it after we form a cabinet. The issue will not linger on for very long. We will take a step and move on,” Erdogan had said on June 8.
Turkey has a “clear will” to lift it, Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag also said a day after the elections.
“We have given a promise before the elections. The state of emergency will expire on July 19. When it expires we will make the final decision. Our will is very clear and it for the lifting of the state of emergency. But the timing has not been decided yet,” Bozdag said.
Turkish daily Sabah (27.06.18- https://www.dailysabah.com/elections/2018/06/26/turkeys-election-authority-releases-initial-figures_ reports that Turkey's Supreme Election Board (YSK) Tuesday released the initial results of Sunday's presidential and parliamentary elections, announcing that President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had received 52.59% of the votes.
According to the YSK figures, a total of 59,367,497 Turkish citizens cast their votes in Turkey and diplomatic missions and custom gates outside the country.
A total of 1,053,362 votes were invalid, the YSK said.
President Erdogan managed to win an absolute majority with 26,329,920 people voting for him while his closest contender and main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) candidate Muharrem Ince garnered 15,340,295 votes with a percentage of 30,64.
The Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) candidate and co-chair Selahattin Demirtaş had 4,206,130 votes; Meral Akşener, the newly formed Good Party (İP) chairwoman and the only female candidate received 3,649,432 votes.
The two remaining candidates, Felicity Party (SP) leader Temel Karamollaoğlu and the Patriotic Party's (VP) Doğu Perinçek, had 443,690 and 98,951 votes, respectively.
In the parliamentary elections, the AK Party won 41,85% of the votes with 20,980,956 people casting their ballots for the party. The Main opposition CHP received 22,48% while the HDP, MHP and İP won 11.7, 10.9 and 9.89% of the votes respectively.
YSK President Sadi Güven said the release of formal results will be pushed back a week to July 5.
The results were initially scheduled to be confirmed on June 29, but were pushed back because Erdogan's simple majority means there won't be a second round runoff vote.
In a commentary in Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (27.06.18- http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/opinion/sedat-ergin/what-did-erdogan-mean-when-he-said-message-received-after-the-election-133827), columnist Sedat Ergin writes the following:
“Imagine that the Justice and Development Party (AKP) did not form an electoral alliance with the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP). In such a scenario, what would be the odds for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to get reelected president? The results coming out of ballot boxes on June 24 show that those odds would not be good.
Let’s look at the difference between the votes Erdogan received with the support of the “Nation Alliance” that the AKP formed with the MHP. Erdoγan received 26.3 million votes in the presidential race while the AKP received 21.3 million votes in the parliamentary elections.
So even though limited support was received from other parties, the determining factor in carrying Erdogan to the presidential office was the bloc support granted by the MHP.
We can understand the importance of the MHP’s support for Erdogan by using other validation methods as well. When we add the 5.5 million votes that the MHP received in the parliamentary race to the 21.3 million votes that the AKP received, we get 26.9 million votes. This number is around 600,000 votes higher than what Erdogan received on June 24.
Comparing the votes that the AKP leader received in the August 2014 presidential elections with what he got in the June 24 election brings us to an interesting point. In the 2014 election, Erdogan got 21 million votes (making up 51.8% of the whole) in the 2014 elections. This number is slightly lower than the 21.3 million votes that the AKP received on June 24.
Interestingly, Erdoğan on June 24 got 52.6% of the whole and thus slightly outperformed the 51.8% he got in 2014, thanks to the support of the MHP. In the 2014 election, the MHP backed the joint opposition candidate Ekmeleddin İhsanoglu.
We should also take the expat votes into consideration when looking at these numbers. In the 2014 elections there were some 55,692,000 registered voters, including expats. On June 24, the number of registered voters had gone up to around 59,370,000, meaning that the number of registered voters had gone up by around 3.7 million.
Considering the increase in the number of registered voters since 2014, data shows that the number of votes that the AKP has received by way of Erdogan has remained stagnant for the past four years.
Looking at the parliamentary elections, the 21.3 million votes that the AKP received on June 24 outperform the 18.9 million votes it got in June 2015, though the number is significantly below the 23.7 million votes it received in November 2015.
The votes that the AKP got on June 24 are most similar to what it received seven years ago on June 12, 2011, when it received a record 21.4 million votes in June 2011. But when we consider the increase in the number of registered voters since 2011, we must say that the AKP voter base has shrunk.
Some 52.8 million registered voters took part in the June 2011 elections, and some 59.4 million registered voters took part in the June 24 election. Over 3 million of votes in the latter election were votes that poured in from expats, who were granted the right to vote in 2014.
All this data tells us that the AKP is on a long-term declining trend, although it remains the main actor in Turkey’s party politics.
Looking specifically into the decrease in AKP votes on June 24, we can probably say that some of the MHP voters who supported the AKP in the Nov. 1, 2015 election, which took place under extraordinary circumstances after the collapse of the Kurdish peace process, have now returned to their party.
Another factor could be that a portion of the votes have slid to the recently founded İYİ (Good) Party. And yet another factor could be that the AKP was unable to appeal to enough of the one million first-time voters on June 24.
I guess it must be this picture that lies behind the words that President Erdogan uttered while making his balcony speech at midnight in the Turkish capital after the vote.
‘We have received the message from our nation. Rest assured, in the next term we will make up for all our shortcomings’, he said”.
Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (27.06.18-http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/arrest-warrants-out-for-43-feto-suspects-133788) reports that detention warrants were issued on June 26 for 151 people suspected of being members of the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ), a judicial source told state-run Anadolu Agency.
Prosecutors in the capital Ankara issued the warrants for 43 suspects, including 30 dismissed and active soldiers and 13 alleged “covert imams” of the group at the Turkish Naval Forces Command, according to a judicial source.
Separately, Ankara prosecutors also issued detention warrants for six active-duty soldiers at the Gendarmerie General Command Forces, said the source, who asked not to be named due to restrictions on speaking to the media.
More warrants were also issued in the northwestern province of Bursa for 102 suspects, including active-duty soldiers, dismissed military school students and former police officers.
Following the warrants, police launched simultaneous operations across Turkey to detain the suspects.
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION
(AK / AM)