No. 214/18 06.11.18
Α. Turkish Cypriot Press
6. Eleven more arrests over FETO links in Turkey and in the occupied area of Cyprus
Turkish Cypriot Havadis newspaper (06.11.18) reports that the self-styled council of ministers of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus has approved the regime’s “budget” for 2019, which reaches 7 billion and 705 million Turkish liras (TL). The deficit in the “budget” is expected to be 825 million TL.
The discussion on the “budget” will begin on 13 November at the relevant “parliamentary committee” and will end on the 27th of the same month. The discussion at the “plenary session” of the “assembly” will be held between 10 and 21 December.
Turkish Cypriot Havadis newspaper (06.11.18) reports that the self-styled state planning organization (“DPO”) announced yesterday that the inflation rate for October 2018 in the occupied area of Cyprus increased by 1,58% comparing to the previous month. According to the same data, the inflation rate increased by 34,08% comparing to December and by 38.13% comparing to October of last year.
“Permanent under-secretary”, Odul Muhtaroglu said that an increase was observed in the average price of 439 products included in the index and that a decrease took place in the price of 112 products.
Turkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris newspaper (06.11.18) reports that the so-called ministry of tourism and environment is “representing” the occupation regime at the World Travel Market 2018, which has opened yesterday in London.
So-called minister of tourism and environment Fikri Ataoglu who is currently in London for the fair, visited yesterday the occupation regime’s stand. In statements there, Ataoglu reiterated that their goal is to enlarge the British market.
Meanwhile, according to the paper, Turkey’s Minister of Tourism Mehmet Ersoy has also visited the occupation regime’s stand in the fair and met with Ataoglu.
In statements there, Ersoy alleged that they are always in full cooperation with the “TRNC” in their efforts to “promote the tourism of the TRNC”, while, at the same time, he claimed that they have new projects in their agenda.
Ataoglu further alleged that in order to reinforce the British market, they have launched an effort with Minister Ersoy so that an aircraft of the Turkish Airlines to carry out a touchdown flight from London to illegal Tymbou airport via Antalya. Ataoglu alleged that the passengers of this flight will be able to arrive in the “TRNC” after waiting for a short time in Antalya.
Turkish Cypriot daily Vatan newspaper (06.11.18) reports that the “Turkish Cypriot municipalities’ union” and the “mayor” of occupied Morfou, Mahmut Ozcinar accompanied by a delegation are currently in Strasbourg in order to attend the 35th general assembly and Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe.
The congress was launched yesterday and will be completed on November 8. The mayor of the occupied part of Lefkosia, Mehmet Harmanci and the so-called mayor of occupied Gioneli are among the “members” attending the “delegation”, writes the paper.
Under the title “Producers: This price will not regress”, Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper carries a report on the “potatoes crisis” due to exorbitant prices in the market and the low production of potatoes this year, has as a result many producers to begin harvesting “unripe potatoes”.
Although the new harvest period has begun, the prices would not decline. The producers defend themselves by arguing that the “price crisis” on potatoes is stemming from the merchants. They explained that the merchants are getting the potatoes cheap from them and preserve them in cold storage, and when the “desired price” is offered to be sold, so they said necessary steps should be taken in order the potatoes to reach the consumers from the producers.
Erkut Sahali, self-styled minister of agriculture, in a post at his social media account, said that the yearly potatoes production estimated to be around 16 thousand tons, but this year due to lack of rainfall and the moderate winter season, the production has fallen to 6 thousand tons, adding that a similar situation occurs also in “south Cyprus” (government controlled area of Cyprus). He further noted that in this period, the amount of potatoes sold to “south Cyprus” in accordance with the provisions of the Green Line Regulation is approximately 539 tons.
Sahali said that in order to cope with this crisis, they continue their efforts to “import” urgently potatoes from Turkey or third countries.
Ankara Anatolia news agency (06.11.18) publishes an interview with Fuat Oktay, Turkey’s Vice President who evaluated the recent developments in Eastern Mediterranean and stated that Turkey will continue its cooperation and joint efforts with the “TRNC”.
Oktay stated that they follow closely the developments in Cyprus and its soundings and added that they also follow “the unilateral works of the Greek side” that they could described as fait acompli in the international field regarding the discovering of hydrocarbon resources. “I would like to say for one more time that we will not allow fait acompli. Our seismic researchers will continue at the region”, he stated.
He went on adding that they also follow the developments in Cyprus as well: “We have neither the luxury nor the chance to leave Cyprus alone in any issue. Cyprus’ issues are our issues. Both the coordination and our joint efforts will continue”, he said.
Oktay also said that prior to the adoption of the Presidential system in Turkey the coordination with the “TRNC” was carrying out on the level of deputy prime ministry.
He also said that following the change of the system he is doing various task previously done by the Minister of Foreign Affairs and the Minister of Finance and that he held contacts with the “TRNC prime minister and the ministers” as regards important issues.
Oktay also referred to Turkey’s EU progress and said that the accession process to the EU is a political process rather than a technical one. “They shouldn't come to us for technical reasons. Turkey 54 years ago, has expressed its intention and it expresses them today”, he stated.
According to Turkish news agency IHA (06.11.18, http://www.iha.com.tr/haber-abd-hem-turkiyeyi-idare-etmekte-hem-de-pkkypgyi-kullanmakta-749448/), Devlet Bahceli, leader of the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP), speaking at his party’s meeting in the Turkish Grand National Assembly, referred also to the hydrocarbon research in the Eastern Mediterranean, claiming that the recent developments have pushed their patience and temper.
Bahceli sent the message that the coalition of oppressors, who want to surround the natural resources in the Eastern Mediterranean by ignoring Turkey and the “TRNC”, should know very well that they will be a heavy price for those who play with Turkey’s sovereign rights. He further argued: “Those who expect that we will make concessions on our legal and historical rights by presenting us with a fait accompli, will understand sooner or later that they are mistaken”.
Bacheli continued his threats by saying: “Dominance can never be established in the Aegean or in the Mediterranean by excluding Turkey, neither the history nor the Turkish nation allows this or will allow it. The provocations in the Eastern Mediterranean will not bring Turkey to its knees. (…)The Mediterranean was once a Turkish lake. We did not forget this. Do not think of our patience wrongly; do not see our mature attitude as shyness, do not think that we will follow the developments in calm. (…) It is our request and expectation that our Fatih drilling vessel and Barbaros Hayrettin Pasa Seismic Research ship will continue their activities in our maritime jurisdiction accompanied by our Navy Forces. (…) New and dangerous negotiation tactics have been circulated in Cyprus, the Turkish homeland. The global pressure and the Greek Cypriot ideas are quite active for a Cyprus without the Turks. (…)
Ankara Anatolia news agency (06.11.18 https://www.aa.com.tr/en/jamal-khashoggi/erdogan-files-lawsuit-against-main-opposition-leader-/1301333) reports that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan filed a lawsuit on Friday against main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu for insulting him.
Erdogan’s lawyer Huseyin Aydin filed a lawsuit on behalf of his client against Kilicdaroglu for “insulting the President” and defamation during a speech he made on television on Thursday.
"In Kilicdaroglu’s remarks, President Erdogan was accused of covering up the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, allowing the suspects to go abroad and protecting the murderers. All of those claims are delusive," the lawsuit read.
Khashoggi went missing on Oct. 2 when he entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. After offering varying explanations for his disappearance, Saudi Arabia acknowledged he was killed in the diplomatic facility, but sought to shift the blame for his slaying on a "rogue operation."
Turkish Hurriyet Daily News (06.11.18 http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-warns-us-its-iran-sanctions-are-dangerous-138598) reports that Turkey has warned Washington against its new sanctions on Iran, saying isolating the Islamic Republic is "dangerous", Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu said.
Washington this week imposed a second set of sanctions on Iran that aim to isolate the country’s banking sector and slash its oil exports.
Eight countries including Turkey have received a US waiver to continue importing Iranian oil.
"While we were asking (for) an exemption from the United States, we have also been very frank with them that cornering Iran is not wise. Isolating Iran is dangerous and punishing the Iranian people is not fair," he said at a press conference during a trip to Japan.
"Turkey is against sanctions, we don’t believe any results can be achieved through the sanctions," he added.
"I think instead of sanctions, meaningful dialogue and engagement is much more useful."
Washington has imposed two sets of sanctions this year after pulling out of a nuclear pact agreed between world powers and Iran that President Donald Trump slammed as "defective".
In addition, Turkish daily Sabah (06.11.18 https://www.dailysabah.com/diplomacy/2018/11/05/not-fair-to-expect-all-countries-to-obey-us-sanctions-vp-oktay) reports that it is not reasonable to expect countries like Turkey to forfeit their own interests to abide by United States sanctions on Iran, Vice President Fuat Oktay said Monday.
"It's not meaningful or fair to expect all countries to obey (U.S.) sanctions upon a country's interests," Oktay said in a live interview with Anadolu Agency.
"We clearly expressed our stance about the U.S. sanctions. We'll see results of a statement to be made today," he added.
Turkish Trade Minister Ruhsar Pekcan said Saturday that Turkey has received initial indications that it will be among eight countries to be granted a waiver from U.S. sanctions against Iran, but is awaiting clarification on Monday.
Turkey imports almost nearly half of its oil needs from neighboring Iran.
In regards to the normalization process with the United States, Turkey will start discussing the "real problems," rather than artificial issues, Oktay said. "This is what allies do."
He also mentioned U.S. pastor Andrew Brunson, who was sentenced on terror charges and returned to the U.S. in October having served his sentence.
"Turkey's problem in relations with the U.S. were never about pastor Brunson," he said.
Oktay also said reports that murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's body was dissolved with acid need to be investigated.
"Turkey approaches the Khashoggi killing with transparency and in a serious manner," Oktay said, adding that Turkish authorities are now seeking the person who ordered the killing on Turkish soil.
Ankara Anatolia news agency (06.11.18 https://www.aa.com.tr/en/todays-headlines/21-held-over-extortion-for-pkk-in-turkish-capital/1303607) reports that at least 21 suspects were detained for extortion to help finance the PKK/KCK terror group after a huge dawn sweep across the Turkish capital Ankara, security sources said Tuesday.
The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media, said the operation targeted 25 suspects in Altindag and Ulus districts, including ringleader Kasim B.
The suspects were charged with extorting money from entertainment venues, taxi drivers and shopkeepers on behalf of the PKK/KCK terror group.
Around 300 officers split into 60 teams targeted 35 addresses across the capital simultaneously. Operations are ongoing to nab the rest of the suspects.
According to Turkish daily Milliyet newspaper (06.11.18, http://www.milliyet.com.tr/balikesir-merkezli-feto-operasyonu-11-balikesir-yerelhaber-3137166/), eleven suspects over alleged links to the Fetullah Terrorist organization (FETO) were arrested after the Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office in Balikesir issued arrest warrants for 49 suspects.
Meanwhile, the 36 of the suspects were found to have been already investigated and prosecuted. There were operations across Istanbul, Ankara, Kirklareli, Aydin, Denizli, Kayseri, Gaziantep, Sirnak and the occupied area of Cyprus for the rest of the suspects, who are in the Land Forces Commandership, the two as gendarmerie and the 11 as non-commissioned officers. The eleven suspects were arrested and the operations for the two other suspects are continuing.
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION