According to illegal Bayrak television (10.12.18, http://www.brtk.net/?english_posts=president-akincis-health-is-good), Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci, who had undergone a colonoscopy, polypectomy and a haemorrhoidectomy operation on Saturday, was discharged from hospital on Sunday afternoon and he is currently resting at his home.
It’s been learned that Akinci is in a good medical condition.
Turkish Cypriot newspaper Havadis (10.12.18)reports that former Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat has expressed the view that no other solution outside federation could be reached in Cyprus. In statements to the paper, Talat was asked whether his party (the Republican Turkish Party – CTP) exhibited a different stance especially on the issue of federation. Talat replied negatively and recalled President Anastasiades’ idea as regards a decentralized federation. He alleged:
“The Greek Cypriot side does not even accept that one Turkish vote is needed. Federation, or confederation or two states. If these could be united in the EU and the Greek Cypriots accept them, we should evaluate them of course. Have we given an oath saying that we will not accept anything else but federation? However, there is no possibility for the Greek Cypriots to accept these. They even do not accept federation. […]”
Asked what he supported, Talat alleged:
“I think that no other solution form outside federation could be reached. Because if you lean over confederation, the Greek Cypriot side will never accept this. It is even trying to deform federation. It is trying to turn it into a unifying [state]. Therefore, confederation is not a possible solution form. And the unitary state approach which the Greek Cypriot side wants is not acceptable for us. Therefore, it will either be a federation or nothing. De facto there are actually two states but there is no solution. In my view the effort of the Greek Cypriot side is not [to find] a solution. It is in favor of the continuation of the process in this manner. I talk to some Greek Cypriots, some high ranking Greek Cypriots, politicians, journalists. They also have the view that it does not seem that the Greek Cypriots will accept a solution under these conditions. […]”
Asked what he would do if he was in Turkish Cypriot leader Akinci’s shoes, Talat argued that pressure should be exerted on the UN, as the Turkish Cypriot leader had little influence on the Greek Cypriot community. He claimed however, that efforts to shape the Greek Cypriot public opinion could be made by meeting journalists over dinner or by holding Press conferences.
According to illegal Bayrak television (10.12.18, http://www.brtk.net/?english_posts=chp-on-cyprus-issue), the main opposition Republican Peoples’ Party (CHP) in Turkey has said that while Turkey’s policies in the Eastern Mediterranean protect the rights of the “TRNC” it should also be carried out in a way to remove Turkey’s loneliness in the Eastern Mediterranean.
The CHP also reiterated its support for efforts aimed at finding a just and permanent solution to the Cyprus problem.
The Vice Chairman of the CHP, who is also in charge of Foreign Relations, Ünal Çeviköz issued a written statement regarding the CHP leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu’s recent visit to the occupied area of Cyprus. He said that the course of the Cyprus issue, the UN Secretary General’s Cyprus Report, economy, the energy equation in the Eastern Mediterranean and its effects on Cyprus were evaluated in detail during Kılıçdaroğlu’s contacts there.
“It’s been noticed that the UN Secretary General’s new consultant is carrying out some efforts for the resumption of the talks which remained inconclusive at the Crans-Montana last year. The CHP is supporting the TRNC’s approaches to these efforts”, Çeviköz added.
Noting that during his visit in there, Kılıçdaroğlu underlined that the CHP supported efforts towards finding a just and permanent solution to the Cyprus problem, and argued that “the natural resources of Cyprus should be considered as a factor for peace and solution and not for injustice and separation”.
Turkish Cypriot newspaper Kıbrıs Postası (08.12.18)reported that Kemal Kilicdaroglu, leader of Turkey’s main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) had held contacts in the occupied area of Cyprus on Friday. Kilicdaroglu visited Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci, self-styled speaker of the “assembly” Teberruken Ulucay, self-styled prime minister Tufan Erhurman, self-styled foreign minister Kudret Ozersay and the leader of the National Unity Party (UBP), Ersin Tatar.
In statements during his meeting with Akinci, Kilicdaroglu said that the CHP wanted the “TRNC” to be internationally recognized and added that whenever they meet with EU officials they asked them why the Direct Trade Regulation was not put into practice. He also expressed CHP’s support to Akinci’s “struggle” on the Cyprus problem and added that they had always attached importance to the development of the “TRNC” and the increase of its prosperity.
Speaking during his meeting with Tatar, Kilicdaroglu said that “our biggest wish is for the TRNC to continue its way by becoming stronger politically and economically”.
Illegal Bayark television (10.12.18, http://www.brtk.net/?english_posts=tatar-in-ankara) broadcast that the new leader of the main opposition National Unity Party (UBP) Ersin Tatar together with the party’s General Secretary Hasan Taçoy are holding a series of contacts in the Turkish capital, Ankara.
Tatar and Taçoy embarked on their contacts with a visit they paid to Anıtkabir – the mausoleum of Atatürk this morning. They later met with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu.
As part of their contacts, Tatar and Taçoy will also come together with the Speaker of the Turkish Grand National Assembly Binali Yıldırım and the Vice Chairman of the Justice and Development Party (AKP).
Turkish Cypriot daily Hakikat (10.12.18) reports that the leader of the National Unity Party (UBP) Ersin Tatar claimed that Turkey’s active and effective guarantee is of vital importance for the Turkish Cypriots, adding that there are those who are trying to take the issue somewhere completely different with a new set of guarantee mechanisms. He added: “Turkey’s exclusion from here will never be accepted by the Turkish nation, but they are trying to play such kind of games here. We should be very careful”.
Speaking during a meeting of UBP’s branch in occupied Famagusta, Tatar referred also to the Cyprus problem. Tatar argued that after the failure of the talks at Crans Montana Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci said that a federation with the Greek Cypriots was not feasible anymore, but now he has started saying to try once more.
Criticizing the “coalition government”, Tatar argued that the priority issues of the “government” should be a stable development of the “TRNC’s economy”.
Turkish Cypriot newspaper Kıbrıs Postası (09.12.18)reported that the self-styled ministry of interior has announced the first data regarding the damages caused by last week’s flood during which four persons died. According to the statement, 57 persons had been offered a shelter and 16 persons received aid. Moreover, 12 houses/buildings, 93 roads and walls, the furniture of 90 houses and 143 vehicles were damaged. Occupied Keryneia was the area which suffered the biggest damages.
Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot newspaperHalkın Sesi(10.12.18)reports that self-styled prime minister Tufan Erhurman issued a written statement yesterday noting that if there were “illegal” practices in the areas of the disastrous floods and persons responsible for these practices, these persons would be found and the necessary procedures would be launched. He said that inspections had shown that in many spots especially in the river beds, the damages increased because the conditions “were not in harmony with the legislation and the scientific data”.
Finally, Turkish Cypriot newspaperAfrika(10.12.18)reports that the Turkish Cypriot building engineers’ chamber (IMO) also issued a written statement on the disaster noting that it had prepared reports in various periods as regards the road/traffic and floods, which were in its professional field, and submitted these reports to breakaway regime’s “officials”, but due to lack of the necessary political will, these reports and projects remained on the shelves. The statement said that there was no building engineer scientifically responsible for the road on which the deadly accident had taken place.
The paper reports that the tender for building the above-mentioned road had been invited in Turkey and the road had been built by a Turkish company.
Turkish Cypriot newspaper Havadis (10.12.18)reports that according to the breakaway regime’s “official gazette”, two persons named Mehmet Kemal Atli and Kenan Onder Atli have been granted the “citizenship” of the regime. They are both constructing a five star hotel named Cyprus Istanbul Beach Resort in occupied Trikomo area which will have the capacity of 1,200 beds. The hotel’s cost is expected to reach 50 million US dollars.
Meanwhile, a decision to give “citizenship” to another nine persons was taken. The names of these persons are the following: Feyyaz Gul, Rukan Donekli, Guler Kalayci, Rabia Gizem, Emre Can Anackaya, Okan Ibrik, Melek Eger, Dr Bakhtiyar Mammadov and Ayse Turanbaki.
The “citizenship” of a person of Turkish origin named Huseyin Atik was revoked, because it had allegedly been granted “illegally”.
Turkish daily Sabah (10.12.18, https://www.dailysabah.com/energy/2018/12/10/second-drillship-expected-to-arrive-in-mediterranean-by-end-of-january) reports that in the past year Turkey has accelerated efforts to become a key energy player in the Mediterranean where hydrocarbon reserves are a major cause of dispute among regional states due to the lack of a comprehensive agreement to ensure an equitable and reasonable share of the resources. Without compromising its sovereign rights, Turkey has increased its hydrocarbon exploration and drilling operations with the deployment of a seismic survey vessel and a drillship in late October. As part of these efforts, the country is now about to welcome its second drillship to expand well-drilling operations in the Mediterranean.
The second drilling vessel purchased by Turkey is expected to arrive in Mediterranean waters by the end of January 2019, Energy Minister Fatih Dönmez announced on Saturday, during an event celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Natural Gas Appliance Manufacturers and Businessmen's Association of Turkey (DOSİDER) in Istanbul.
Dönmez highlighted Turkey's ongoing efforts in the exploration of hydrocarbon reserves on land and in its territorial waters as part of its national energy and mining policy that aims to ensure Turkey meets its energy needs from its own sources.
"We expect the second drilling vessel to depart today [Saturday] and arrive in the Mediterranean by the end of January . With this vessel, we will continue our drilling activities both in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea," he added. The Minister did not specify the vessel's name or port of origin. He further noted that Turkey's two seismic vessels, Barbaros Hayrettin Paşa and MTA Oruç Reis, were continuing seismic surveys in the Black Sea, and the Mediterranean, respectively. (…)
Dönmez recalled that Turkey started its first deep-sea drilling offshore Antalya on the Mediterranean coast on Oct. 30 with the drilling vessel Fatih. In addition to deep-sea drilling in Antalya, the ministry launched shallow water drilling offshore of Mersin in Mediterranean Turkey on Nov. 26. "Drilling operations are also ongoing in shallow waters off Mersin [in southern Turkey]. We will continue to explore [oil and gas reserves] in this region," the Minister added. (…)
Turkey has repeatedly warned against any unilateral exploration activities by international energy companies commissioned by the “Greek Cypriot administration” [Republic of Cyprus], reportedly disregarding the rights of Turkey and the “TRNC” [the breakaway regime in the occupied area of Cyprus]. (…)
Energy Minister Dönmez also underlined that no energy project could be implemented in the region without Turkey's consent, adding the Trans-Anatolian Natural Gas Pipeline (TANAP) and TurkStream natural gas pipeline projects had made Turkey a key country for Europe's energy supply security.
A Turkish-Azeri project, TANAP, went live in June, and stretches from the Turkish-Georgian border to the Turkish-Greek border to supply Caspian gas to both Turkey and Europe. Export to Europe is expected in 2020 upon completion of the Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP), which will connect with TANAP at the Turkish-Greek border.
The TurkStream, on the other hand, runs through the Black Sea from Russia to Turkey and consists of two 930-km lines each with a capacity of 15.75 billion cubic meters. The first line is intended for gas supplies to Turkish consumers, while the second is to supply gas to south and southeastern Europe. The pipeline, which is expected to proceed into Europe through Bulgaria, will become operational at the end of 2019.
According to Turkish daily Yeni Safak newspaper (08.12.18, https://www.yenisafak.com/en/world/erdogan-turkey-opposes-use-of-disproportionate-force-against-protesters-in-europe-3468668), Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said on Saturday that Turkey is against the "chaos" caused by yellow vest protestors and the use of “disproportionate force” against them. “We’re concerned as we follow the events unfolding on European streets," he added.
“The footage that emerged shows that Europe’s democracy, human rights and freedom lessons are only confined to classrooms,” argued Erdoğan as he warned that French streets should not witness the “oppression that began in the summer of 1789,” in reference to the French Revolution that same year.
“Europe’s walls of security and welfare are not being shaken by migrants or Muslims, but by Europe’s own citizens,” he added. (…)
On the same issue, Ankara Anatolia news agency (09.12.18, https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/turkish-fm-criticizes-eu-press-on-france-protests/1333961) reported that Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, speaking at the Antalya Association of Journalists awards ceremony on Sunday, said that he was against vandalism, however, he criticized the excessive force the French police used against protestors and questioned the EU attitude towards France, addressing the European press stance as a "disaster".
Cavusoglu also argued that the other European countries didn't raise much criticism to the police violence as they viewed France as an EU member with whom they felt they must be in solidarity with. He added that France should be criticized for enforcing policies violating the standards and values of the European Union. (…)
According to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (10.12.18, http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-economy-grows-by-1-6-percent-in-q3-139585), Turkey’s economy grew by 1.6% in the third quarter of 2018 compared with the same period of last year, the country’s statistical authority announced on Dec. 10. The economy expanded at 7.2% and 5.3% in the first and second quarters, respectively.
Calendar adjusted gross domestic product (GDP) in the third quarter of 2018 increased by 2.1% compared with the same quarter of the previous year. Seasonally and calendar adjusted gross domestic product decreased by 1.1% compared with the previous quarter.
Data from the Turkish Statistical Institute (TÜİK) also showed that households’ final consumption expenditure increased by 1.1% in the third quarter.
Government final consumption expenditure increased by 7.5% while gross fixed capital formation declined by 3.8% in the third quarter of 2018 compared with the same quarter of the previous year.
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION