A. Turkish Cypriot Press
Β. Turkish Press
Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (02.08.18) reports that while the exact date for the election conference of the National Unity Party (UBP) has not being set yet and is planned to take place in October or in November, candidacies for the party’s presidency continue to be declared.
Sunat Atun, who “served” for 7 years as “minister of economy and energy ”and “minister or trade” announced in a post in one of his social media accounts, that he will be a candidate for the party’s leadership.
According to the paper, “Lefkosia deputies” with UBP, Faiz Sucuoglu and Ersin Tatar declared their candidacies a few months ago. The current UBP chairman Huseyin Ozgurgun will also be a candidate.
Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (02.081.8) reports in its first page that there are 40,433 students in the breakaway regime and 10,380 of them study at private schools.
According to data obtained by the “ministry of education” for the academic year 2017-2018, the following students studied at public schools: 29,799 students with “TRNC citizenship”, 13,441 students of Turkish citizenship, 4,999 with “TRNC and Turkish citizenship” and 1,651 students from third countries.
As regards private schools: 7,651 have “TRNC citizenship”, 1,224 Turkish citizenship, 551 “TRNC and Turkish citizenship” and 954 were students from third countries.
Under the title: “Inflation in work places”, Turkish Cypriot daily Havadis (02.08.18) reports that there is one work place for every seven persons living in the occupied part of Lefkosia.
According to the paper, the population of the “Lefkosia municipality” is 61,378 and there are 9,000 registered work places.
Speaking to the paper, the chairman of the “Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Tradesmen and Craftsmen” Hurrem Tulga, stated that there are around 18,000 work places for a population of 300,000 (in the breakaway regime) and added that there are no criteria for granting permissions.
Under the title “There are total 101 thousand students in the TRNC”, Turkish Cypriot daily Vatan newspaper (02.08.18), on its front page, reports that Prof. Dr Akile Buke, “chairman of the Higher Education, Planning, Accreditation and Coordination Council (YODAK)”, in an interview to TAK, said that there are 16 universities in the occupied area of Cyprus but only the 13 of them are recognized by the Council of Higher Education (YOK) in Turkey.
She further said that the “universities” provide education to 101.011 students, adding that the 55.879 of students are from Turkey, the 31.749 from third countries and only 13.383 are “TRNC citizens”.
Prof. Buke explained that this year, there was a decrease to the number of student places that YOK has given for the “universities” in the occupied area of Cyprus, adding that this year 19.004 students have been placed compared to 20.000 last year.
According to Turkish daily Sabah newspaper (02.08.18, https://www.dailysabah.com/diplomacy/2018/08/01/turkey-calls-on-us-to-reverse-its-wrong-decision-regarding-sanctions), Turkey "strongly protests" the U.S. decision to sanction two of its Ministers and calls on the country to reverse its "wrong decision", the Foreign Ministry said Wednesday in a statement. "The decision targeting two Ministers does not comply with state solemnity and cannot be explained by the concepts of law and justice", the statement said. (…)
The Foreign Ministry also said that U.S.' "aggressive attitude serves no purpose", adding that Turkey would respond in equal measure. It underlined that the latest U.S. move could be considered a "disrespectful intervention" to Turkey's judicial system, saying that it will harm constructive efforts to solve problems between the two countries.
Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on his official Twitter page that the U.S. sanctions move would not be left without retaliation. "We cannot resolve our problems as long as the U.S. does not give up on its unlawful demands", Cavusoglu added.
Another official from the Turkish government reportedly told Habertürk daily that the escalating tensions with the U.S. would be resolved through dialogue, yet the country was ready to retaliate to the sanctions if needed.
"We are engaged in negotiations with our U.S. counterparts at the moment, which continue in a positive atmosphere. Both sides have reiterated their willingness to preserve good diplomatic relations," the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said.
Meanwhile, Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (02.08.18, http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-and-us-ministers-have-third-phone-talk-since-july-26-135288), under the title “Turkish and US Ministers have third phone talk since July 26”, reports that amid high-running tensions between Ankara and Washington over the arrest of U.S pastor Andrew Craig Brunson, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu and his U.S. counterpart Secretary of State Mike Pompeo held another phone conversation on Aug. 1.
This is the third conversation held between Cavusoglu and Pompeo on the matter since President Donald Trump and Vice President Pence threatened to impose sanctions on Turkey if Brunson is not released.
Cavusoglu called Pompeo the same day to convey Turkey’s response to the strong statements from the U.S. administration.
According to Ankara Anatolia news agency (02.08.18, https://www.aa.com.tr/en/americas/four-turkish-political-parties-protest-us-sanctions/1220376), the four Turkish political parties protested Thursday against U.S. sanctions on two Ministers “in the strongest way”.
“We say ‘no’ to the U.S. threats with common solidarity and determination of our nation”, said the Justice and Development (AK) Party, the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) and the Good (IYI) Party in a joint statement.
It added that it was the right of the executive body, or presidency, to give the necessary response to the U.S. based on the principle of international reciprocity. (…)
According to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (02.08.18, http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-ministers-shrug-off-us-sanctions-targeting-them-135312), the two Turkish Ministers who were targeted by the United States sanctions over Turkey’s imprisonment of pastor Andrew Brunson have shrugged off the threat.
White House spokesperson Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Aug. 1 the sanctions by the Treasury Department would target Turkey’s Justice and Interior Ministers, whose agencies she said were responsible for the pastor’s arrest and detention.
Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gül vowed in a tweet late Aug. 1 that he has “not even a single cent” in the United States. “I did not have any dream but living in my country,” he added.
Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu also reacted on Twitter. “We have [only] one property in America, and it is Fetö. We will not leave him there. We will take him,” Soylu said on Aug. 2, referring to the Pennsylvania-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gülen and his movement, dubbed by the government as the Fethullahist Terror Organization (FETÖ).
Under the sanctions, any property, or interest in property, belonging to Gül and Soylu within U.S. jurisdiction would be blocked. Americans would generally be prohibited from doing business with them. (…)
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION