Turkish Cypriot Vatan newspaper (30.10.18) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinciattended yesterday the opening ceremony of the Istanbul Airport, upon an invitation by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Head of states and governments were also invited to the ceremony.
Akinci participated also in a reception hosted by Erdogan on the occasion of the 29 October Turkish Republic Day. He is expected to return to the occupied area of Cyprus today.
Turkish Cypriot Kıbrıs newspaper (30.10.18) reports that the first flight abroad from the new airport will be conducted on 1 November 2018 to the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus and the second one on 8 November to Azerbaijan.
Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris (30.10.18) reports that Faiz Sucuoglu and Sunat Atun, stated that they will support Tatar for the second round of the elections to be held on November 3.
Sucuoglu and Atun run together with Ersin Tatar and Huseyin Ozgurgun for the leadership of the National Unity Party (UBP) last Saturday. Tatar and Ozgurgun, who is the current leader of the party, went to the 2nd round at the 21st ordinary congress of the UBP with 37% and 28.6% accordingly.
The paper notes that Sucuoglu and Atun said that they clear their stance as regards the two remained candidates hearing the demand of the members of UBP who want change and the party to get the “power” again in order to solve the problems of the Turkish Cypriot “people” especially those occurred after the economic crisis.
In addition, reporting on the same issue, Yeni Düzen (30.10.18) reports that after this development all eyes are on which decision Ozgurgun will take since there are rumors that he will withdraw his candidacy. Citing information, the paper writes that Ozgurgun will take a decision today on the issue and that he already expressed the will to resign; however some circles persuaded him to remain on the run.
Under the title: “A forced farewell” Havadis (30.101.18) writes that Ozgurgun is leaving the run for the presidency after the decision of Sucuoglu and Atun to support Tatar.
Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (30.10.18) reports that the leader of the Revival Party (YDP –the party of the settlers) Erhan Arikli stated during the “Lefkosia district” congress of his party, that they aim to reach 7,500 members.
Speaking during the congress, Arikli stated that their aim to reach this number in order to become one of the two bigger parties as regards the number of registered members. He said that they aim to have 1,800 in Lefkosia adding that this goal must be fulfilled by the new elected “district chairman” until March 31, 2019.
He also said that until this date they also aim to gain 1,700 members in occupied Keryneia, 2,000 in occupied Famagusta, 1,100 members in occupied Trikomo and 750 in occupied Morfou and occupied Lefka combined. He added that the central committee of YDP will evaluate the situation and take measures against the local councils if they fail to reach the goals set.
Under the title “Potatoes, chickens and teachers: Everything imported”, Turkish Cypriot Afrika newspaper (30.10.18) reports that five teachers, who had been transferred from Turkey to work in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, were placed to “key posts” in the self-styled ministry of education, upon a demand submitted by the so-called embassy of Turkey in the occupied part of Nicosia.
In a statement issued yesterday by Burak Mavis, education secretary of Turkish Cypriot Teachers’ Trade Union (KTOS), it is said that the Turkish Cypriot teachers do not accept the transfer of teachers from another country when “people of our country remain unemployed”.
Mavis accused the “ministry” of remaining a spectator to the opening of schools without books, notebooks and teachers and added that during the four-party “coalition government” the “cumbersome system” did not change. He also noted that the “government” says nothing to the fact that the flow of money from Turkey stopped, the money for the investments in the field of education was blocked and Turkey uses as “a weapon” the loan it provides for the regime’s “budget”.
Under the title “Turkish drilling ship to begin Mediterranean operations Wednesday”, Turkish daily Yeni Safak newspaper (30.10.18, https://www.yenisafak.com/en/news/turkish-drilling-ship-to-begin-mediterranean-operations-wednesday-3464928) reports that a Turkish drilling ship will start operating in the Mediterranean Sea on Wednesday, 100 km (62 miles) off the coast of Antalya province, Energy Minister Fatih Donmez said, adding it would aim to open two drill holes annually. Donmez made the comments on Tuesday during a ceremony to mark the launch of the ship and added that Turkey is very close to buying another drilling ship.
Moreover, Turkish private channel NTV (30.10.18, https://www.ntv.com.tr/ekonomi/bakan-donmez-taciz-olursa-deniz-kuvvetlerimiz-geregini-yapacaktir,AP9KWAaY4USZ_mUHTursHw) broadcast that Energy Minister Donmez also said that they will carry out deep-sea drilling with their own vessel tomorrow and hopefully, they will start soon, maybe next month a shallow-sea drilling study in Mersin. He added that at this moment, there is no security risk, but if there is harassment, then their naval forces will do what it needs to be done.
According to Turkish daily Haberturk newspaper (30.10.18, https://www.haberturk.com/fatih-gemisinin-ilk-sondaji-bugun-2198941-ekonomi), the Fatih vessel will carry out its first drilling today in the Mediterranean. According to information obtained, Fatih will start drilling today the deep-water well Alanya-1 with more than 200 local and foreign experts working on the vessel.
Turkish daily Star newspaper (30.10.18, https://www.star.com.tr/guncel/fatih-sondaj-gemisi-ilk-seferine-basladi-haber-1401037/) reports that Fatih vessel started drilling. It also reports: “The drilling activities will carry out in Turkey's exclusive economic zone off the shores of Antalya and west of Cyprus. Fatih drilling vessel will conduct its operations under the protection of Turkish warships.”
Moreover, Turkish daily Sabah newspaper (30.10.18, https://www.dailysabah.com/energy/2018/10/30/turkeys-first-drilling-vessel-fatih-to-launch-deep-sea-drilling-operation-in-med-this-week), under the title “Turkey's first drilling vessel Fatih to launch deep-sea drilling operation in Med this week”, reports that Turkish drilling vessel Fatih will conduct its first deep-sea drilling operation in the Mediterranean this week.
Energy and Natural Resources Minister Fatih Dönmez will be present on the occasion. The drilling will secure Turkey's rights in the Mediterranean, as per international law. The country looks to become more active in drilling operations in the near future.
The vessel, named after Fatih Sultan Mehmet, the conqueror of Istanbul, sailed off to the Mediterranean earlier in May to start the country's first deep-sea drilling operations. Reports said that more than 200 local and foreign experts will be working on the vessel, which will start drilling the deep-water well Alanya-1 in the Eastern Mediterranean.
The 229-meter vessel is capable of drilling to a maximum depth of 12,192 meters. The first drilling well will reach depths of 2,600 meters.
Energy Minister Dönmez previously said that the drillship Fatih will carry out the first deep-sea drilling activities in Turkey's exclusive economic zone off the shores of Antalya, on the country's southern Mediterranean coast, at the end of October. The ship, which is suitable for conducting operations in accordance with international rules and regulations, will continue to work in accordance with occupational safety and environmentally friendly standards. Last week, it was announced that the state-owned Turkish Petroleum Corporation (TPAO) has hired Schlumberger, the world's largest oilfield services firm, to help with its offshore drilling in the Mediterranean.
The American company said in its third-quarter report for 2018 that it will support TPAO in oil exploration activities in the Mediterranean. In the report, Schlumberger said it would provide technical support to the drilling vessel Fatih. "Turkish Petroleum awarded Schlumberger an ISM [Integrated Services Management] contract valued at $15 million to drill the deep-water well Alanya-1 in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. ISM will coordinate multiple product lines as well as provide project management services on Turkish Petroleum's ultra-deep-water drillship, Fatih," the company said in its report.
In late September, TPAO also awarded Houston-based Rowan Companies a two-well contract in the Mediterranean with an estimated duration of 100-140 days. The company's N-class jack-up rig Rowan Norway is expected to start operations late this year.
The Rowan Norway is currently warm-stacked in the U.K. sector of the North Sea. Rowan is a global provider of contract drilling services with a fleet of 27 mobile offshore drilling units composed of 23 self-elevating jack-up rigs and four ultra-deep-water drillships.
Turkey is already undertaking oil and gas explorations using two seismic vessels. Seismic vessels Barbaros Hayreddin Paşa, which was bought from Norway in 2013, and Oruç Reis, which Turkish engineers built in a local shipyard in Istanbul in June, carry out seismic surveys and collect data in the Black Sea and the Mediterranean.
The TL 400-million ($72.37 million) Oruç Reis, with an anticipated 30-year service life, is capable of sailing nonstop for 35 days with its 55-man crew. Furthermore, the ship is equipped with a helicopter pad and the hydrography and oceanography systems on board allow for the scanning of the seafloor up to a depth of 15,000 meters.
Meanwhile, Energy and Natural Resources Minister Dönmez previously announced that Turkey is actively preparing to buy a second drill ship to ramp up exploration. (…)
According to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (29.10.18, http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-marks-95th-anniversary-of-republic-day-138379), Turkey celebrated the 95th anniversary of the founding of the Turkish Republic across the country and in diplomatic sites around the world.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, senior government and high-ranking military officials and political opposition leaders laid a wreath at Anıtkabir, the mausoleum of the founder of the Turkish Republic Mustafa Kemal Atatürk in the capital Ankara. Ceremonies were held in every city, municipal and village centre in the country.
The historic opening of the new airport in Istanbul, which comes amid “intensifying attacks at our economy,” is a symbol of Turkey’s power, determination and achievements over the past 95 years, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan wrote in the Anıtkabir memorial book.
“Today, we are celebrating the 95th anniversary of our Republic by opening the new airport in Istanbul, one of the most prestigious projects in the world,” Erdogan wrote.
In an earlier message released by the presidency to commemorate the anniversary of the Turkish Republic, Erdoğan said Turkey would keep working hard “to preserve our Republic forever”.
“We will never make concessions from this position and we will not allow any games, any obstacles and any sabotage to keep us from our goals,” he said.
“We will crown our great historical journey starting from the Seljuks to the Ottomans and then the young Turkish Republic with our 2023 goals and I hope we will move it up to a higher level with our 2053 and 2071 visions,” he added. (…)
In his written message for the Republic Day, Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said that they continue the determined fight against any kind of threat, particularly from terrorist organizations such as FETÖ, the PKK/KCK/PYD-YPG and DAESH, the Arabic acronym for ISIL. Akar said Turkey would not allow any de facto steps in the region taken against it.
According to Turkish daily Sabah newspaper (29.10.18, https://www.dailysabah.com/business/2018/10/29/landmark-project-istanbul-new-airport-opens-with-grand-ceremony), on the 95th anniversary of the founding of the Republic of Turkey, the country has witnessed a historic moment with the opening of Istanbul's new airport.
The grand opening ceremony for the first phase of the airport was held with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkish Ministers, officials and heads of state from around the world in attendance. As well as boosting Istanbul's position as a global aviation hub, the new airport is expected to make significant contributions to the Turkish economy.
Erdogan said the name of the new airport will be Istanbul Airport and added that Atatürk Airport will maintain its status as an airport but be closed to commercial flights. (…)
The ceremony was attended by more than 50 foreign leaders, Ministers and high-level officials including Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic, Kosovo's President Hashim Thaci, “Macedonian President” Gjorge Ivanov, Moldovan President Igor Dodon, Pakistani President Arif Alvi, Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci, Kyrgyz President Sooronbay Jeenbekov, Sudan's President Omar Hassan Ahmad al-Bashir, Former President of Albania Ilir Meta, Bulgarian PM Boyko Borisov, Slovenian Deputy PM Alenka Bratusek, Georgian FM David Zalkaliani, Iranian FM Cevad Zarif, Chairman of the Council of Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina Denis Zvizdić and the “Governor of the Gagauz Autonomous Republic” Irina Vlah.
The yet-unnamed facility, known for now as Istanbul new Airport, will by the end of the year replace the international airport named for Atatürk, currently the main hub of Turkish aviation sector, parts of which are to be transformed into a public park. Sabiha Gökçen Airport on Istanbul's Asian side will remain open.
Hours before what he called a "historic opening," Erdoğan described the project as one of the most "prestigious" in the world and a symbol of Turkey's strength in times of economic attacks.
At the initial phase, five take offs and five landings will take place at the airport. Turkey's national flag carrier Turkish Airlines (THY) will hold the first flight to Turkish capital Ankara on Oct. 31. The airline company will fly to Turkish resort town Antalya on Nov.1 and to Izmir on Nov. 2 with first international flight to the “TRNC” (occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus) on Nov. 1 and to Azerbaijan on Nov. 8.
It is expected that a daily 2,000 planes will go through the airport by the end of the year to over 350 destinations by over 250 carriers.
Completed within 42 months, the first phase of the airport was built with a cost of 6 billion euros ($7.2 billion) with a public-private partnership (PPP) model by a consortium of Turkey's leading contractors Limak, Kolin, Cengiz, Mapa and Kalyon. The consortium will pay 1.1 billion euros annually for 25 years.
The total investment cost of the giant projects is estimated to stand around 26.1 billion. The first stage will begin operations with two runways – 3,750 and 4,100 meters long, respectively – an air traffic control tower and service buildings. Some 200,000 labourers worked during the construction of the first phase.
The other phases of the airport, which is constructed on an area of 76.5 million square meters, are planned to be completed by 2023. When the construction of all the phases is complete, the airport will have six runways and operate with a capacity for more than 500 planes. The open and closed parking lot of the airport will be able to serve 70,000 automobiles.
Istanbul's new airport will be home to the world's largest duty-free shopping complex. The 53,000 square meter shopping complex will consist of six sections, including luxury stores and bazaar concepts.
By year's end, the new airport will be able to handle up to 90 million passengers annually with a 1.4 million square meter terminal building, ranking in the world's top five. The number will rise to 200 million passengers when all facilities are complete and will become the world's largest airport. (…)
According to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (29.10.18, http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/opposition-leaders-skip-reception-and-presidential-greeting-on-republic-day-138380), Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu and İYİ (Good) Party leader Meral Aksener celebrated the founding of the Turkish Republic at the official ceremony in Anıtkabir, however, did not participate in the rest of the program at the presidential palace and the reception held in Istanbul.
In a written statement, Kılıçdaroğlu said they have the responsibility of embracing the Republic with democracy as they defend the democratic, secular and social state of law instead of supporting the “prosperity of presidential circles.” In his message, Kilicdaroglu criticized the government for supporting a “one man rule” and supporting the prosperity of “a rentier rather than the people.”
Akşener visited the first Parliament building of the Republic early on Oct. 29 along with her lawmakers. “One should not consider whether an individual is from leftist or rightist ideology while embracing the Republic,” she said. The İYİ Party leader said the Justice and the Development Party (AKP) has not aimed to “administrate the Republic, but to confiscate it” since the beginning of its rule. The AKP is carrying the celebration of the state ceremony to a “building site in Istanbul because they see the world as construction,” she added.
Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) leader Devlet Bahçeli attended the celebration ceremonies in Ankara, but did not participate at the reception in Istanbul. “I will watch it on TV,” he told reporters when asked about the opening ceremony of the new airport in Istanbul. “The Turkish nation has broken the imperial chamber that attacked its sovereignty rights,” Bahçeli said in his written statement for the Republic Day.
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION