Turkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris (15.05.19) reports that Baris Burcu, “presidential spokesman” of the Turkish Cypriot leader, Mustafa Akinci, in a written statement yesterday, said that Akinci held a phone conversation yesterday with the UN Secretary General’s special envoy, Jane Holl Lute.
According to Burcu, Lute who continues her contacts with the sides, spoke over the phone with Akinci for 20 minutes, after her initiative. “During the conversation, our president evaluated the current situation and reiterated once again his known clear stance, while, at the same time, an exchange of view was made over the developments to follow”, Burcu said.
Turkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (15.05.19) under the title: “The mandate was handed to Tatar”, reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci has handed the mandate of forming a new government to the leader of the National Unity Party (UBP) Ersin Tatar.
In statements yesterday after the “party’s central committee meeting”, Tatar said that their aim is to form a “new government” within the next 10 days, but, he, however, said that he stands on his own feet and is not bound to anyone. He further spoke of the possibility of moving to “early elections if no agreement is reached”.
Meanwhile, the “authorized bodies” of the UBP have unanimously authorized Tatar to carry out talks with the political parties in the occupied area of Cyprus for the “formation of a government”. Tatar who launched his contacts today, is expected to meet with the Republican Turkish Party (CTP) and later on with the People’s Party (HP), the Democratic Party (DP), the Social Democracy Party (TDP) and the Revival Settler’s Party (YDP). At 17.00, Tatar is expected to meet again with the party’s organs in order to evaluate the situation. According to the “constitution” of the occupation regime, Tatar is obliged to “establish a government” in a period of 15 days, otherwise, he should return the “mandate”.
Turkish Cypriot daily Haberci (15.05.19) reports that “Miss Northern Cyprus” will participate in the “World Tourism Beauty Contest” to be held in Croatia.
According to the paper, Fulya Tilki will participate in the beauty contest that will take place on June 1.
According to Turkey state news agency Ankara Anatolia (14.05.19, https://www.aa.com.tr/en/politics/senior-mp-turkey-to-have-no-trouble-with-s-400-deal/1478044) Turkey will have no trouble in implementing a deal with Russia to purchase S-400 missile systems, the head of Turkey's Parliamentary Foreign Affairs Committee, Volkan Bozkir said on Tuesday.
Meeting Russian Ambassador Aleksey Yerhov in Ankara, Volkan Bozkir underlined that the S-400 deal had been made in order to ensure Turkey's security. (…)
Yerhov, for his part, referred to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's remarks that the S-400 deal was done and "being implemented". "I think the Turkish press and public should trust Turkey's President when he makes such clear and explicit statements", Yerhov added.
On the same issue, AA (14.05.19, https://www.aa.com.tr/en/politics/turkey-us-should-talk-to-resolve-issues-official/1477795) reports that Turkey and the U.S. should find solutions to ongoing issues through talks, head of the Turkish Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee Bozkir said on Tuesday.
During a meeting with U.S. Charge d'affaires Jeffrey M. Hovenier in Ankara, Bozkir recalled of Turkey and the U.S. being strategic partners. "On the issues of S-400 missiles, Patriot missiles and F-35 jets, we are sure that we can find solutions by talking and understanding each other," said Bozkir. (...) He added that good relations between the two countries were of critical importance.
"The U.S.-Turkey relations are long and deep, both countries benefit from it," said Hovenier. He further said: "We have a number of issues, all our agenda can be problematic. The two countries are consistently committed to working together to advance their interest."
According to Turkish daily Sabah (15.05.19, https://www.dailysabah.com/diplomacy/2019/05/15/iraqi-prime-minister-visits-turkey-to-discuss-bilateral-ties-fight-against-terror), Iraq Prime Minister Adil Abd Al-Mahdi is expected to visit Turkey today and meet with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to discuss bilateral ties and the fight against terrorism in a bid to further strengthen the relations.
"Fights against terrorism, reconstruction works in Iraq, and steps to be taken to enhance cooperation between Iraq and Turkey especially in the areas of trade and energy will be among the agenda topics of the meetings," the written statement issued by the Presidency of the Republic of Turkey's Directorate of Communications said yesterday. (…)
Iraq and Turkey are also considering opening a border gate as an alternative to the Habur-Ibrahim Khalil border crossing point controlled by the KRG (Kurdish). The border gate is expected to stimulate trade between Ankara and Turkmens-majority areas of northern Iraq. On the other hand, to increase Turkey's representation in Iraq, Ankara is trying to reopen consulates in Basra and Mosul that were closed after the consulate in Mosul was taken over by Daesh on June 11, 2014. (…)
Turkish daily Hurriyet (15.05.19) reports that the General Secretary of the Felicity Party (Saadet Partisi-SP) Temel Karamolaoglu, stated that the party will participate in the Istanbul Municipal elections with its own candidate.
“We have decided to participate in the 23-June elections with our own candidate, Necdet Gokcinar”, Karamolaoglu stated.
According to Turkish news portal Turkish Minute (14.05.19, https://www.turkishminute.com/2019/05/14/davutoglu-to-announce-establishment-of-new-party-in-diyarbakir-report/), Former Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu will make public the establishment of a new political party at a fast-breaking dinner in the southeastern province of Diyarbakır, according to a report in the Deutsche Welle on Monday.
There have been rumours for a while that top former Justice and Development Party (AKP) figures are getting ready to found a new political party as they are uneasy with the policies of the AKP government and its leader and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. (…)
According to DW, Davutoğlu is making preparations for the organization of a large fast-breaking dinner in Diyarbakır where he is expected to make the first announcement about the new party.
Davutoğlu reportedly contacted with former and current leading AKP politicians such as former ministers Mehmet Şimşek, Cevdet Yılmaz and current AKP deputy chairman Numan Kurtulmuş, asking their support for the new party, but all have refused to give their support to the former prime minister.
However, former AKP deputy chairman Abdullah Başçı and former AKP deputy Ramiz Altun reportedly joined Davutoğlu’s new party.
In the meantime, former AKP minister Ali Babacan is not acting with Davutoğlu as he wants to be the leader of a new party, according to DW. Babacan reportedly got the support of 35 former AKP deputies for his own political party.
Last week, Davutoğlu voiced concern about a controversial decision by Turkey’s election authority to cancel the results of a mayoral election in İstanbul, which was won by an opposition candidate.
Earlier this month, in his first major public challenge to President Erdoğan since leaving office, Davutoğlu also slammed the AKP’s economic policies, media restrictions and the damage he said it had done to the separation of powers and to Turkey’s institutions.
According to Turkey state news agency Ankara Anatolia (14.05.19, https://www.aa.com.tr/en/turkey/over-1-500-military-personnel-suspended-in-11-months/1478003), a total of 1,553 personnel with suspected links to the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) were suspended from the Turkish Armed Forces in the last 11 months.
Some 879 were dismissed from the Army, while 242 were suspended from the Navy and 432 from the Air Force, security sources said, speaking on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media.
Additionally, some 151 retired soldiers' ranks were revoked over FETO links. (…)
On the same issue, Turkish daily Sabah (15.05.19, https://www.dailysabah.com/investigations/2019/05/15/fetos-military-infiltrators-detained-in-new-wave-of-arrests) reports that thirty-one suspects including three helicopter pilots were arrested yesterday in operations against the Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ). Police targeted FETÖ's military presence as the terrorist group is accused of employing its infiltrators to carry out a failed coup on July 15, 2016. The Chief Public Prosecutor's Office in the capital Ankara issued arrest warrants for 34 suspects in an investigation into the Turkish Armed Forces' Helicopter Command. A manhunt is currently underway to capture three other suspects. (…)
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION