Places where the use of a mask is mandatory for the general population
In order to safeguard the protection of citizens and public health vis-à-vis COVID-19, a Decree of the Minister of Health has been issued today extending thereby the measure for mandatory use of a protective mask by the general population aged 6 years old and older.
The use of a mask by the general population is mandatory in indoor crowded spaces, and more specifically, at the following establishments/venues:
- Supermarkets / bakeries
- Department stores / retail stores / shopping malls
- Hospitals / clinics / nursing homes / other health care institutions
- Services/Departments of the public and wider public sector and private businesses which receive/serve customers (e.g. banks, citizen service centers, post offices, Cyprus Electricity Authority, etc).
- Betting shops
It is reminded that the non-observance of the measure constitutes a Decree violation by the citizen and the fine of € 300 shall be borne by the citizen himself and not the business / establishment.
As regards employees, it is clarified that the use of a protective mask is mandatory for employees in customer service positions, as follows:
- Public transport (e.g. bus drivers),
- Indoor areas of private companies, Departments of the public and wider public sector which serve the public, such as citizen service centers, post offices, couriers, places for the payment of utility bills of organizations (e.g. EAC, CYTA, local government), etc,
- Persons who work in customer service in retail businesses. Indicatively:
▪ Tills at supermarkets, bakeries, pharmacies, public markets, retail stores, etc.
▪ Customer service at other places such as butcheries, fish markets, fruit markets, kiosks, mini markets, retail trade businesses (e.g. clothing and shoe stores, cosmetic stores, and so forth), etc.
- Delivery persons / distributors
- Construction workers: people working in construction must use disposable masks when traveling by car (the number of persons in a car must not exceed 2 people) and when using an elevator.
It is noted that the maximum wholesale and retail prices for selling masks are being determined in the Decree of the Minister of Health, dated 20 August 2020. Any violation of the Decree should be immediately reported by calling the number 1429 (Consumer’s Line) in order for all appropriate measures to be taken.
Relevant Press Releases
Maximum number of persons at cultural and political events