The Council of Ministers has approved the resumption of flights and re-opening of airports with additional security measures
The Ministry of Transport, Communications and Works announces that the Council of Ministers has today made the following modifications concerning the Action Plan for the gradual resumption of flights and the re-opening of airports, which will be implemented as of 1st March 2021. The amendments are as follows:
1. For the EU countries and the European Economic Area countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) including Switzerland, there is no amendment. That is, from the 1st of March 2021, the categorization of countries of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) will be followed; that is the green, orange or red categories.
2. For March, the evaluation of third countries (United Kingdom, Russia, Ukraine, Israel, Lebanon, UAE, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Belarus) as well as of the European Council Recommendation list of third countries, will be carried out by the Ministry of Health which will classify them as green, orange, red and grey. Those of the above countries classified as grey will need a special permit and in addition, passengers will have to present a laboratory PCR test, within 72 hours prior to departure. In this category, self-isolation/quarantine measures shall apply, in accordance with the instructions of the Ministry of Health.
3. From 1st to 31st March 2021, persons arriving from any of the above countries, which have been classified in the green category, will undergo a PCR laboratory test, the cost of which will be covered by the Republic of Cyprus.
4. It is noted that, for March, all passengers, regardless of category, arriving in Cyprus should have undergone a PCR laboratory test.
5. From 1st April 2021, third countries will be evaluated and classified according to the green, orange or red categories, based on the ECDC criteria. In the third countries’ category, in addition to the United Kingdom, Russia, Ukraine, Israel, Lebanon, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Belarus, the following shall be added, as of 1 April 2021: Serbia, Qatar, Bahrain, United States, Armenia and Georgia.
6. Countries not included in the above countries, will be classified in special permit category – Grey.
7. The Ministry of Health will announce, on a weekly basis, the categorization of countries.
8. In addition, the Council of Ministers decided to extend until 31st March 2021, the measure of 7-day stay in places to be designated by the Republic of Cyprus for those arriving from the United Kingdom, in accordance with the preconditions already in force.
9. It is recalled that the following applies to each category:
• Category Green: In this category, all passengers, upon arrival in Cyprus from the 1st to the 31st of March 2021, will undergo a laboratory PCR test, the cost of which will be covered by the Republic of Cyprus. From 1st April 2021, there will be no restrictions – a practice that is already in force.
• Category Orange: In this category, the presentation of a negative laboratory analysis of PCR test within 72 hours prior to departure is required, as is the case today.
• Category Red: In this category a double laboratory testing is required; that is, a negative laboratory PCR test within 72 hours prior to departure and another laboratory PCR test upon arrival in Cyprus. In this category, no self-isolation/quarantine measures apply. It should be noted that Cypriot citizens and legal residents of the Republic can choose to undergo a laboratory testing only upon arrival in Cyprus. In this case, they should remain in compulsory self-isolation, in accordance with the relevant instructions of the Ministry of Health, unless they present an additional negative PCR laboratory test within 72 hours prior to departure.
• Category Grey – special permit. In this particular category, the procedure for obtaining a special entry permit into the Republic, shall be implemented for citizens of third countries (exempt from the requirement of a special permit are Cypriot citizens, persons lawfully residing in the Republic of Cyprus and European citizens). In this category, persons arriving in the Republic shall remain in compulsory self-isolation, in accordance with the relevant instructions of the Ministry of Health.
• In all categories, laboratory sampling tests will be carried out in accordance with the instructions of the Ministry of Health.
Relevant Press Releases
Postal services to China resumed
Rapid Antigen Testing Units – 22 May 2022