Decision of the Council of Ministers on the implementation of island-wide contingency measures and in Limassol and Paphos Districts in particular
Due to the rapid increase in the number of COVID-19 cases being recorded in Cyprus during the last 14 days and the spread of the virus in the community, and taking into consideration the geographical allocation of the outbreaks as well as the qualitative analysis carried out until this morning, the Council of Ministers in its meeting today under the President of the Republic, Nicos Anastasiades, has decided the following measures with the aim of controlling and preventing further infections and the spreading of the virus in the community and protecting Public Health.
More specifically, the following measures are applied across the whole of Cyprus:
- The maximum number of persons allowed to gather in houses and public places, with the exception of catering establishments, is set at 10 per house/group, inclusive of under-age children.
- The maximum number of persons allowed to be served in catering establishments is set at 75 in indoor areas and 150 in outdoor areas. The social distancing measure of 3 sq.m. for indoor areas and 2 sq.m. for outdoor areas per person, regardless of the area of each establishment in square metres, continues in force in each case. For instance, if a catering establishment has an outdoor area of 400 sq.m. and on the basis of the social distancing measure of 2 sq.m. per person it could serve up to 200 persons, the number of customers may not exceed 150. If an establishment has an indoor area of 300 sq.m. and on the basis of the social distancing measure it could serve 100 persons, the number of persons may not exceed 75.
- The maximum number of persons per reservation/table/group in catering establishments may not exceed 6 persons.
- Church services as well as other religious ceremonies shall be performed in accordance with the guidelines by the Holy Archbishopric of Cyprus.
- The holding of matches in sport installations in the context of athletic championships is allowed without spectators being present, provided the relevant protocols are observed.
- The functioning is allowed of open-air cinemas, theatres and performance halls at 50% capacity.
- Cocktail parties and well-wishing ceremonies at weddings and christenings are prohibited. Physical presence is only allowed at lunch or dinner with a maximum number of 350 persons attending.
- Food and drink retail trade businesses (bakeries, supermarkets, mini-markets, etc.) and pharmacies shall only serve persons aged 60 and over and persons with disabilities as of the hour of their opening until 9 a.m. inclusive.
- The use of facemask by the general population aged 12 years and above is made compulsory in outdoor public places.
In addition to the above and on account of the deteriorating epidemic situation and the increased epidemiological load in the cities and districts of Limassol and Paphos, and having taken into consideration the latest data showing that in the Limassol District the cumulative impact is 180 persons per 100.000, that is, over the 150 persons used by the ECDS in placing an area within the red zone and the cumulative impact in the Paphos District in the last 14 days shows an increasing trend exceeding 80 persons per 100.000, the following additional measures have been decided:
- The functioning of catering places (restaurants, catering areas in hotels and other tourist accommodation, taverns, cafeterias, pizzerias, pubs, snack-bars, bars, coffee shops and catering areas in canteens or/and sports clubs, cultural circles, societies, associations, etc.) is allowed until 10.30 p.m. It is clarified that the above outlets may provide home-delivery services after 10.30 p.m.
- The circulation of members of the public is banned from 11 at night until 5 in the morning of the next day, excluding mobility for emergency medical reasons (to/from a pharmacy, hospital) or for work purposes by presenting a relevant certification or documentation.
- All afternoon sports and social activities for children less than 18 years of age are suspended (e.g. football, dancing, swimming, martial arts, theatre, choir singing, etc.)
- Championship matches for athletes below 18 who are based in the Districts of Limassol and Paphos, are suspended. For example, if a team based in the District of Limassol or Paphos is playing with a team of the Nicosia District, the match shall be suspended until the measures are lifted.
The above measures, which shall be regulated by a Decree of the Minister for Health to be issued within today, come into effect as of tomorrow, 23 October 2020, lasting until 9 November 2020.