COVID-19 measures extended island-wide and contingency measures decided for Lemesos District
Due to the increased number of COVID-19 cases being recorded in Cyprus especially this last week and the resulting spread of the pandemic within the community, the following measures have been decided at a meeting held today between the inter-ministerial committee and the Advisory Scientific Committee for the coronavirus under the President of the Republic, Mr Nicos Anastasiades, with the aim of bringing under control the infection with the virus and is spread in the community for the protection of public health.
More specifically, the following measures are put into effect on an island-wide basis:
- Attendance at house gatherings and public assembly places, excluding catering establishments, is allowed with a maximum number of 10 persons per house/group, including underage children.
- Church services, as well as religious ceremonies, shall be performed according to the instructions of the Holy Archbishopric of Cyprus.
- The holding of matches in sport premises, in the context of athletic championships, is allowed without spectators being present, provided the relevant protocols are applied.
- The maximum number of persons allowed to be served in catering establishments is set at 75 persons in indoor areas and 150 persons in outdoor areas. The measure that continues to be in force is that of maintaining social distancing of 3 sq.m. in each case for indoor areas and 2 sq.m. for outdoor areas per person, regardless of the square metre area of each establishment. For example, if a catering establishment has 400 sq.m. in an outdoor area and based on the social distancing measure of 2 sq.m. per person it could serve up to 200 persons, the number of customers may not exceed 150. If an establishment has 300 sq.m. in an indoor area and based on the social distancing measure of 3 sq.m. per person it could serve up to 100 persons, the number of persons may not exceed 75. Provided that in each case no more than 10 persons may occupy a single table.
- Cocktail parties and well-wishing ceremonies at weddings and christenings are prohibited. Physical presence is only allowed at lunch or dinner with a maximum number of 350 persons attending.
- The holding of events, such as conferences, day-events, assemblies, concerts, theatre performances, dance or music performances, etc., is allowed in both closed and open venues, in accordance with the guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health.
- The functioning is allowed of Indoor and open-air cinemas, theatres and performance halls at 50% capacity.
- Retail businesses of drinks and food (bakeries, supermarkets, mini-markets etc.) and pharmacies shall only serve persons included in the vulnerable groups of the populations between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m.
The above measures, which are regulated by a Decree of the Health Minister to be issued today, come into force as of tomorrow, 18 October 2020 and for a period of two weeks, that is until the 2nd November 2020.
In addition to the above, and due to the deterioration of the epidemiological picture and the increased epidemiological load in the city and district of Lemesos, the following measures have been decided:
- The functioning of catering establishments (cafeterias, bars, restaurants, snack-bars, etc.) is allowed until 10.30 p.m.
- It is strongly recommended that members of the public restrict their movement after 11.30 p.m.
The measures for the city and district of Limassol, which are regulated by a Decree of the Health Minister to be issued today, shall come into force as of tomorrow, 18 October 2020, lasting until 26 October 2020.
In addition to the above measures, it is recalled that by a Decree of the Health Minister the use of facemask by the general population, aged 12 years and above, is mandatory for all in closed, indoor areas as described in the instruction issued by the Ministry of Health.