Clarifications on the decisions of the Council of Ministers — 13 December 2021
A) As of 16 December 2021, vaccination against Covid-19 of children aged 5-11, with vaccinations being carried out at Maternity and Welfare Centres of the Ministry of Health in all Districts.
B) From 15 December 2021 to 15 January 2022, vaccinated individuals declared as close contacts of a confirmed positive case shall be required to undergo rapid antigen tests within 72 hours and on the 7th day, a PCR laboratory test free of charge through the Public Health Clinics.
• Individuals who received the booster/3rd dose of the vaccine are excluded.
• Instructions for the arrangement of an appointment for the PCR laboratory test will be given by Personal Doctors.
C) As of 15 December 2021, mandatory isolation of individuals whose sequencing of positive samples relates to the “Omicron” strain, or any possible future mutation. The contacts of the specific cases must remain in self-isolation, regardless of vaccination coverage, in accordance with the Ministry of Health’s protocol.
• Individuals with positive samples in the Omicron mutation are obliged to remain in self-isolation in their place of accommodation.
• Contacts of positive cases with the Omicron mutation remain self-isolated in their place of residence.
D) Review on 15 January 2022 of the previous decision of the Council of Ministers to abolish the SafePass for those individuals who do not receive the third dose of the vaccine against Covid-19 vaccine, after a period of 7 months has elapsed, following the European Union’s notification to the member states.
• However, as of 18 December, in the cases of individuals where the period of 7 months has elapsed since the second dose of vaccination with the two-dose vaccine and one dose with the single-dose vaccine, should undergo a 72-hour PCR laboratory test or a 48-hour rapid antigen test for individuals aged 18 years or over.
• The Rapid test examination will be provided free of charge through the testing units of the Ministry of Health.
E) As of 15 December 2021, exemption from the mandatory SafePass possession check through the CovScan Cyprus application of the individuals who have proof and a Medical Council certificate that they cannot be vaccinated.
• These persons must show the special card issued by the Ministry of Health and at the same time a Rapid laboratory test or a PCR test done on a weekly basis, with a negative result.
• The test will be free of charge upon presentation of the special card.
F) From 15 December 2021 until 31 January 2022, admission to social events, such as weddings, christenings and catering areas within the hotel units, shall only be permitted to persons who have received at least one dose of the vaccine, provided that they possess a negative PCR laboratory test or Rapid antigen test.
• The previous decision of the Council of Ministers also applies to the following areas: closed and outdoor stadiums, theatres, cinemas, performance spaces, music dance centres, entertainment centres and catering establishments.
• It is clarified that individuals who have completed their vaccination scheme with two doses in the case of the two-dose vaccine and a single dose in the case of the single-dose vaccine, are not required to possess a negative PCR or Rapid test result, including individuals who have received the booster vaccine dose.
• In the cases of individuals where the period of 7 months has elapsed since the second dose of vaccination with the two-dose vaccine and one dose with the single-dose vaccine, they are allowed to enter these premises with a negative PCR or Rapid test result.
• It is specified that persons who became ill and recovered within the last 6 months do not have to possess a negative PCR or Rapid test result.
G) As of 15 December 2021, passengers arriving in the Republic of Cyprus are required to undergo a rapid antigen test after 72 hours from the date of arrival.
• The Rapid antigen test will be provided free of charge through the Ministry of Health testing points, by showing their boarding pass and proof of identification (identity card, passport).
• Individuals who have received the booster/3rd dose of the vaccine are excluded.
Relevant Press Releases